Friday, November 21, 2014

Not quite so magical...at first








Description courtesy of Goodreads.com:
As wild and reckless as the most incorrigible of her male cousins, Amy Malory has reached a marriageable age and has set her sights on a most inappropriate mate: the straight-laced American ship captain who once nearly had her Uncle James  hanged for piracy.

Warren Anderson is shocked by the brazen advances of his despised enemy's beautiful niece. Though determined to resist her, he burns for the enchanting British minx. And an impassioned heart implores him to surrender to a love that could stoke the smoldering fires of a family feud into a dangerous, all consuming blaze.



This one took me a re-read (or two) to really appreciate it.  I guess that I fell into the double standard of "It's okay for a man to go for what he wants, but not for a woman to do the same."  Now granted, I very much go for what I want in life and the vast majority of my female friends do as well; it's just that for some reason, I didn't want to read about it. But that may be a topic for a different post in the future.

But once I got over it, I really did enjoy this story.  Amy knows enough about love and desire that it doesn't always make sense, but she's young enough to appreciate the fight without really allowing her hopes to be dashed to bits.  And we all know that Warren goes above and beyond to encourage her to give up on him. But that youthful optimism won't give in, and I'm so glad that it didn't.

One thing that I really did like about this story was that the intrigue didn't really take away from the romance and relationship building.  Yes, it was a central plot point because of the situation it led to (trying to stay spoiler free), but at the same time it wasn't a huge focal point.  I think that is one of the things I love most about Johanna Lindsey's writing- regardless of what is going on around them, the relationship between the hero and heroine is always the central focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review for The Trouble With Twelfth Grave

Blurb courtesy of GoodReads.com: Ever since Reyes Farrow escaped from a hell dimension in which Charley Davidson accidentally trapped hi...